There are two ways of Testing.
1. Manual Testing.
2. Automation Testing.
1). Manual Testing
It is a process in which all the phases of Software Testing Life Cycle like Test Planning, Test Development, Test Execution, Result Analysis, Bug Tracking and Reporting are accomplished successfully manually with human efforts.
Drawbacks of Manual Testing
1. More number of people is required.
2. Time consuming.
3. No accuracy.
5. Simultaneous actions are almost impossible.
6. Repeating the task in a same manner is not so easy manually.
2). Automation Testing
It is a process in which all the drawbacks of manual testing are addressed (over come) properly and provides speed and accuracy to the existing testing phase.
Automation Testing is not a replacement for manual testing it is just a continuation for a manual testing in order to provide speed and accuracy.
Drawbacks of Automation Testing
1. Too cost.
2. Cannot automate all the areas.
3. Lake of expatriation.
When the Testing is at the stage of Repeatability, Reusability, Programmability and when it needs Accuracy.
When To Automate?
When the Regression Testing and Functional Testing occurs more frequently then we go Automation.
We can automate at following situations also
· When there are multiple releases of application.
· Only when the application under manual test is stable.
· On tests that need to be run for every build of the application.
· On tests that require detailed information from application internals.
· On tests that require execution of multiple data called parameterization.
· When the project have enough time for regression testing.
When Not Automate?
We can automate the software at Adhoc Testing,one time testing, at the stages of look and feel and when it is having lack of data.
We can automate at the following situations also
· Automation cannot be used for a project that has very few releases.
· Automation testing cannot be used in usability type of testing.
· It cannot be used when the functionality of the application changes frequently.
· Test with unknown results cannot be automated.
· The automation of testing cannot ensure 100% error free product and moreover it is not a label for all the testing problems.
· When the project does not have enough time.